Sound and audiovisual archives are part of the heritage that in the Ibero-American region have the risk of disappearing. Hundreds of thousands of recording hours are lost due to lack of interest, awareness, ignorance of the value of these documents, and even technological obsolescence. Preserving and disseminating this heritage is a necessary task that requires a collective effort, not only to obtain resources, but also to create an awareness about the importance of sound and audiovisual heritage in a region such as Latin America where we have a notorious historical backwardness in the matter.
Recognizing this situation, Mexico and SEGIB presented the Ibero-American Initiative for Technical Cooperation for the Preservation of Sound and Audiovisual Heritage at the XXIII Ibero-American Summit of Heads of State and Government held in Panama in October 2013. During the XXIV Summit of Veracruz in 2014, its change into Action Program was approved.
The general goal of the Sound and Audiovisual Ibermemory Program is to implement a comprehensive preservation model for sound and audiovisual documents and to provide access to this intangible heritage of the Ibero-American countries, as well as to promote education aimed at understanding the preservation strategies, tactics and techniques for the sonorous and audiovisual heritage for the benefit of all the countries of the region, considering the diversity, particularities, needs and demands of the region, all supported by a spirit of exchange, respect and technical cooperation.
The specific goals are:
- Identify the sound and audiovisual archives of the Ibero-American region.
- Create the Ibero-American Inventory of Sound and Audiovisual Archives.
- Generate attention plans for the sound and audiovisual archives of the region that are at high risk levels.
- Allocate resources through a call to Ibero-American countries (as determined by the Council) to implement actions to preserve its sound and audiovisual heritage.
- Develop the relevant mechanisms for access to the region´s collections and make these part of the daily cultural activities of the population.
- Promote the dissemination of the sound and audiovisual heritage of Ibero-America.
- To promote technical cooperation projects in the artistic, academic and cultural activities that promote the culture of sound and listening.
- Develop and implement educational projects that allow for continuous training of the staff that are in charge of sound and audiovisual archives.
- Document and share the experience, knowledge and techniques that are generated in the matter of integral preservation of the sound and audiovisual heritage.
- Implement the educational and cultural use of sound and audiovisual collections.